Skip to content

Trump asks the Supreme Court to let him have black sites

    Register for the Laters to get the most insightful analysis, criticism and advice that is delivered daily in your inbox.

    The Trump government accidentally revealed on Monday that it is trying to catch Venezuelan migrants in a catch-22 who would effectively block them to challenge their deportation and detention in an El Salvador prison. In a court service, the government acknowledged that she had deported at least one migrant to El Salvador because of an “administrative error” – but argued that the person had no right to dispute his imprisonment because he was in the detention of a “foreign sovereign”. This argument confirms what is clear for weeks: the government is planning to treat prison as a black site where migrants have no constitutional rights and may be subject to any treatment – including indefinite detention, forced labor, torture or death.

    But Monday's submission illustrates another, more subtle problem that the Ministry of Justice probably did not intend to admit: the government tries to end the legal claims of migrants by a channel that is doomed to end. It tries to entitle these migrants in a Kafkaesque drop from which there might not be a legal escape. And it tries to sell this excus to the federal judiciary as a legitimate opportunity for the decent process if migrants have plausible objections to their treatment.

    To see how hollow that promise is, just look at the case of Kilmar Armando Abrego Garcia. Abrego Garcia, a resident of El Salvador, came to the United States in 2011, fleeing violence. Although he entered the country without permission, an immigration court granted him the protected status in 2019 and found that he would probably be confronted with prosecution if he were sent back to his home country. The federal law prohibits his removal to El Salvador. The Trump government still aimed and pulled him over while he drove his son, who is 5 years old and is intellectually disabled. Immigration and customs enforcement agents wrongly claimed that his 'status has changed', arrested him and threatened to transfer his son to child protection services when his wife did not arrive within 10 minutes. His wife, an American citizen, was able to appear on time, but Ice refused to provide information about the arrest of her husband. She did not know where he had been taken until she saw a news photo of alleged Venezuelan gang members in Cecot, a notorious Salvadoran Mega prison, kneeling on the ground, their arms above their shaved heads up. A man, she realized, was her husband.

    The deportation of Abrego Garcia was unambiguously illegal and his lawyers quickly submitted a lawsuit and demanded his return. On Monday the Doj responded with a bomb access: Abrego Garcia held Having the right to stay in the US and was only sent to Cecot because of an 'administrative error'. The Doj then stated that there was nothing that the claimant or the government could do to resolve this known error. Abrego Garcia, wrote it, should submit a Writ van Habeas Corpus, the traditional procedure for challenging illegal detention. Indeed, it argued, the claims of Abrego Garcia “can only continue in Habeas” – he has no other way to combat his imprisonment. And yet, the Department concluded, no federal court can hear his Habeas -Claim, because he is “not in the custody of the United States.” So he has no remedy whatsoever and has to stay in Cecot indefinitely.

    Many aspects of this submission are deeply disturbing on their own conditions. (One section, for example, argues that Federal Courts 'the government must say that ABREGO Garcia will probably not be tortured or killed in El Salvador', an extremely non -interruption. Bozberg. At any time, the Boasberg government told that the claimants in his case must Habeas Corpus file to dispute their deportations. It says that the claimants cannot challenge their expulsion in any other way. But now the Doj has shown how completely meaningless a Habeas claim would be: any migrant who pursues this path can be taken to Cecot before he obtains lighting, and then permanently deprived a legal story on the basis of the fact that they are outside the American custody.

    The plaintiffs before Boasberg clearly recognized that Habeas exemption was a dangerous bait, even before Monday's request. They have insisted on their claims, instead, according to the Administrative Procedure Act and the Due Process clause, with the argument that the call of the government of the Alien Enemies Act of 1798 is illegal. This enabled them to submit as a class, in a single court in DC, who represent all migrants who are subject to illegal deportation. (Habeas claims usually have to be submitted individually, in the district where a person is locked up.) It also gave Boasberg more tools to prevent their unlawful deportation, including the temporary limiting order he gave to stop their removal. Habeas claims are simply too narrow to put these mistakes right: they are essentially lawsuits against the director or the custodian in which a person is held, so that immediate release requires. But these claimants do not ask to be released from detention in the United States. On the contrary, they ask for to stay Stuck in the US and are not flown to El Salvador.

    It was doubtful that Habeas could really offer recovery for migrants. It would not enable them to secure a radical, class -wide limit against removals. And it may not give a jury of non-flushing to protect individuals against illegal removal to Cecot on a case-by-case basis, since the Supreme Court has ruled that Habeas cannot protect against deportation. But Monday's submission shows that, by trying this class action to a series of individual Habeas requests, the government has a still dirty trick for its sleeve. It has already claimed the authority to deport individuals to Cecot before they have the opportunity to submit a petition. Now it claims that as soon as a migrant has been sent to El Salvador, they have lost their right to look for Habeas exemption in any capacity.

    These arguments, taken together, show how the Trump administration transforms Cecot into a black site for which migrants can be disappeared forever. It is even worse than Guantánamo Bay, because that facility is at least under American control – an important reason why the Supreme Court ruled that his prisoners have Habeas rights. Cecot, on the other hand, is run by El Salvador, so the US government rejects every authority about its activities. As soon as a migrant is locked up there, the government says that it has no power to demand his return, let alone say some about his treatment behind bars.

    So, in short, is what the Ministry of Justice offers the federal judiciary as a constitutionally healthy option for migrants who say they are confronted with illegal deportation to El Salvador. These migrants do not have the right to dispute their classification as gang members. They do not have the right to challenge the call of the President of the Alien Enemies Act or to get a restrictive order in the class -wide. Their access to the courts is limited to an individual Habeas -Petition in their district of imprisonment, which cannot practically tackle their grievances. Moreover, the government is not obliged to give migrants the time – even a few hours – to file A Habeas Petition or access to a lawyer or interpreter that could help. Instead, the government can drive them away to El Salvador without prior notice. And as soon as they are delivered to Cecot, they can no longer submit a Habeas Petition because they are out of our custody.

    This is not a “alternative” for a considerable process. It is a trick, a red herring designed to process migrants in a web of confusing legal procedures that can never be escaped. Nevertheless, the DOJ currently asks the Supreme Court to leave Boasberg's Class -wide order on the basis of the fact that migrants have to look one by one by one. Monday's application proves that this theory is offered in breathtakingly evil loyalty. If the judges cancel the protection of Boasberg, the Trump administration will quickly resume deportations before individuals get the chance to object – then they say they have lost access to the courts when they reached El Salvador.

    Because this situation is unprecedented, there is little case law to indicate whether the DOJ is correct that migrants lose their rights at Cecot. In Lawfare, Habeas expert Amanda Tyler writes that the answer can depend on the leverage of the US government about the Salvadoran government, and whether she can demand the return of a prisoner as a practical issue. The Ministry of Justice has already suggested that this is not possible. And even if federal courts don't believe it, a judge cannot recommend a foreign nation to meet its orders. The Supreme Court is therefore confronted with a decision with a monumental high bet. If the judges now let this deportation schedule continue, it can condemn thousands of innocent migrants to rot in Cecot, have cut their constitutional rights – and possibly their lives – forever cut out.